photo courtesy of the bailey post
The American Planning Association (APA) has announced its 2012 list of Great Streets across the country. What is a Great Street, you ask? The APA considers three main characteristics in its evaluation of streets:
- Street Form and Composition - Does the street accommodate multiple users? Does it encourage social interaction?
- Street Character and Personality - Does the street reflect the local culture? Is it an interesting place to be?
- Street Environment and Sustainable Practices - Does the street use green infrastructure? Does it promote sustainability?
- Duval Street in Key West, Florida
- Ward Parkway in Kansas City, Missouri
- Main Street in Bozeman, Montana
- Wall Street in Kingston, New York
- Fifth Avenue in New York, New York
- Broadway in Saratoga Springs, New York
- Shaker Boulevard in Cleveland, Ohio
- Grant Street in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvannia
- Broad Street in Charleston, South Carolina
- Gay Street in Knoxville, Tennessee